Premium Tatkal is a service introduced by Indian Railways that allows passengers to book Tatkal tickets by paying extra charges. It was introduced to make Tatkal ticket booking more convenient for passengers willing to pay more.
In this guide, we will delve into the world of Premium Tatkal, its unique features, booking process, and key differences compared to regular Tatkal tickets.
What is Premium Tatkal?
Premium Tatkal (PT) was introduced by the Indian Railways in 2014 to provide a faster booking option for travelers with immediate plans. It operates similarly to regular Tatkal tickets but comes with dynamic fare pricing.
Premium Tatkal allows passengers to book Tatkal tickets on payment of additional charges per ticket over and above the normal Tatkal charges. The basic Tatkal charges remain the same.
Some key features of Premium Tatkal:
- Bookings open 1 day before the actual train departure date.
- Fixed premium charges applicable in addition to regular Tatkal fees.
- Premium Tatkal quotas available for most long-distance Mail/Express and Rajdhani/Shatabdi/Duronto trains.
- Facility available for all classes except General (2S) class.
- Premium Tatkal tickets can be booked from 10 AM to 12 PM on the previous day of train departure.
The booking window for Premium Tatkal opens at 10:00 AM for AC classes and 11:00 AM for non-AC classes. Dynamic fare pricing is the key feature that sets it apart from regular Tatkal.
How to Book Premium Tatkal Tickets
- Log in to the IRCTC website using your credentials.
- Navigate to the “BOOK TICKET” section and enter your departure and destination stations.
- Select your travel date and submit.
- You will see a list of available trains; click on the “Premium Tatkal” option next to the Select Quota section.
- Select your preferred train and book your tickets quickly to secure the lowest possible fare.
- Ensure you provide accurate passenger details as per the proof of identity, such as Voter ID or PAN card.
- Save an electronic copy of your ticket or take a printout if necessary.
To check PNR status, Read this article. It offers an easy process to check the PNR status and keep you up-to-date about the train ticket booking.
Premium Tatkal Charges
The Premium Tatkal charges vary depending on the class of travel:
- AC First Class: Rs 2000
- AC 2-Tier: Rs 1000
- AC 3-Tier: Rs 400
- AC Chair Car: Rs 250
- Sleeper Class: Rs 100
In addition to the above, regular Tatkal fees and other charges will also apply.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
There is no refund for canceled Premium Tatkal tickets, except in specific circumstances:
In such cases, the full Premium Tatkal fare will be refunded.
Benefits of Premium Tatkal
- Better chance of getting confirmed Tatkal tickets.
- Hassle-free booking experience without IRCTC portal congestion issues.
- Payment is via IRCTC wallet, credit/debit card, UPI etc. ensuring faster booking.
- Premium Tatkal counters available at major stations for assistance.
Booking Rules and Procedures
- Booking a Premium Tatkal ticket is quite straightforward. You can book it one day in advance of your journey date, and only E-tickets are allowed.
- Concessions do not apply to Premium Tatkal tickets, and children’s tickets are charged at the full Premium Tatkal fare.
- However, please note that you cannot book RAC or Waiting List tickets under the Premium Tatkal scheme.
I hope this guide provides a good overview of how the Premium Tatkal booking facility works and how passengers can take advantage of it for confirmed train tickets!