Have you forget your WiFi password? Fret not, for we’re here to help you reconnect with your wireless lifeline.
Are you stuck in a WiFi conundrum, trying to remember that elusive password you set up months ago?
In this article, we’ll walk you through how to recover your WiFi password on various devices, including Windows PC, Mac, and smartphones.
How to Find Forgotten WiFi Password on Windows PC
If you’ve previously connected your Windows PC to the same WiFi network, the process of retrieving the forgotten password is relatively straightforward. Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click on the WiFi Logo: Begin by right-clicking on the WiFi logo in the taskbar of your Windows PC.
- Open Network & Internet Settings: Select “Open Network & Internet settings.“
- Access Network and Sharing Center: Navigate to “Network and Sharing Center” within the settings.
- View Wireless Properties: In the menu that appears, click on the “Wireless Properties” button.
- Reveal the Password: A new window will pop up. Switch to the “Security” tab, check the box next to “Show Characters,” and voila! The forgotten WiFi password is revealed.
How to Find a Forgotten WiFi Password on Mac
For Mac users, the process of recovering a forgotten WiFi password is slightly different but equally manageable. Follow these steps:
- Access Finder: Open the “Finder” app on your Mac.
- Navigate to Utility Folder: Click on the application’s entry in the left-hand panel and open the utility folder in the main window.
- Launch KeyChain Access: Find and launch the “KeyChain Access.app” utility.
- Select System and Passwords: Make sure “System” is selected and “Passwords” is highlighted as the category in the left-hand pane.
- Find Your Router: Locate your router in the list, double-click the entry, and click “Show Password” to reveal your WiFi password. You may need to input your admin credentials to unlock it.
How to Find a Forgotten WiFi Password on Android Smartphones
For Android smartphone users, retrieving a forgotten WiFi password requires your device to be rooted. Here’s the process:
- Root Your Android Device: Ensure that your Android smartphone is rooted.
- Use a Password Utility: Download and use a password utility such as WiFi Key Recovery to find the WiFi password if you’ve forgotten it.
Please note that on iOS smartphones, you’ll need to jailbreak your device and use a Cydia app like Network List to view your saved WiFi password.
Other Methods to Retrieve WiFi Password
If the methods mentioned above don’t work for you, there are a few other options:
Default Password Method:
Check your router for a label with the default network name and password. This method works if you haven’t changed the default login information.
You can log in to your router directly by connecting your computer to it via an Ethernet cable.
Enter your router’s IP address in a web browser and use the default credentials (usually “admin“) to access the settings.
Resetting your router to its default settings is an option, but it’s not recommended as it may open your network to security risks.
If you’re tech-savvy and need to recover your password, there are tools available for hacking your own router, but this should be approached with caution.
One commercial tool for this purpose is ElcomSoft Wireless Security Auditor (EWSA), while free tools like Aircrack-ng and Reaver can also be used if you had WPS enabled on your router.
So, the next time you find yourself scratching your head over a forgotten WiFi password, remember these handy methods to regain access to your network.
Choose the one that suits your situation best, and you’ll be back online in no time!