Have you heard about Robotic Process Automation (RPA) as an emerging technology trend?
This post will provide a primer on RPA, explain the key concepts, and highlight its business benefits.
What is RPA?
RPA refers to software tools that automate routine business processes previously performed manually by human workers. RPA tools function by mimicking human actions and interacting with digital systems and software.
In essence, RPA bots act as virtual workers that can efficiently perform repetitive digital tasks without human intervention.
How Does RPA Work?
RPA tools function by combining UI interaction, rule-based configuration and robotic scripts to automate workflows.
Key steps typically include:
- Recording human actions through UI interactions
- Configuring rules and logic
- Scripting bots by combining activities into processes
- Deploying bots to operate on target systems
RPA bots interpret data, trigger responses, communicate across systems, and execute transactions based on defined rules.
Types of RPA Tools
There are 3 main RPA types:
- Attended – Bots that require human supervision
- Unattended – Fully automated bots that function independently
- Hybrid – Combines attended and unattended automation
Popular RPA software vendors include UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism, and Microsoft Power Automate.
Benefits of RPA
RPA adoption is rising due to benefits like:
- Increased efficiency – 24/7 automated processing
- Reduced costs
- Improved accuracy – Minimized human errors
- Enhanced compliance
- Higher productivity – Frees staff from repetitive tasks
RPA vs Traditional Programming
RPA differs from traditional programming in using a low-code approach optimized for business users. RPA focuses on simple workflow automation versus complex software development.
So in summary, RPA is a powerful approach to streamline business operations using easy-to-use bots for task automation. The technology is maturing rapidly with exponential growth projected.